Sunday, October 30, 2011

Busted

Oh, I have so much to say! Sometimes the stuff to say is just oozing out of my ears and I don't get it down, and then I forget about it. Or, more likely, I'm just flat-out too lazy to sit down and write it. All the typing, and thinking, it's a lot of work, you know.

I had an interesting conversation with Weston the other day- we were driving to the Goodwill (where he found a Fur Real cat that looked brand new, to his everlasting delight, for $2.99) and we passed some of those people with flags and 'Support Our Troops' signs. He asked what that was all about so I explained that troops are military members and many of them are fighting wars overseas, and that some people think they should stay, and some think they should come home. He asked more about the wars so I tried to explain they aren't really battlefield wars against countries like we see in books, and that the enemy doesn't have boats and planes, but mostly just people and they try to be sneaky and blow things up. 'Oh,' he said, 'You mean guerilla warfare?' He went on to ask if they also used camouflage and sabotage. Surprised because Lloyd usually leaves the tricky conversations to me, I said, 'Did Daddy explain that to you?' 'No,' he said, 'It was on Underdog'. So now I'm frantically scouring our cartoon collection for the episode about the birds and the bees, and the one where Underdog's mommy's blog pokes good-natured fun at his daddy.

Yes, he told me this morning that my blog says mean things and makes fun of people. I told him that I am always very careful about what I write and that sometimes I exaggerate just the tiniest bit, to make a story funnier. I'm not sure he got it, though. Geez, where is Underdog when you need him? Or, as Polly Purebred would sing, 'Where, oh where has my Underdog gone??' Here's an interesting tidbit: Sweet Polly was voiced by Norma Macmillan, who is the mother of Alison Arngrim. Alison, as we all know, played the fabulously evil Nellie Oleson on Little House on the Prairie. If you have not read Alison's book, 'Confessions of a Prairie Bitch', you simply must. Melissa Gilbert, who of course played Laura, also has a fairly recent book out, called 'Prairie Tale: A Memoir'. It, also, is worth the read. She was engaged to Rob Lowe before he became VERY famous and has some extremely good old school gossip to share. Did I write about those two books? I meant to. The writing, it's a lot of work and I'm lazy; have I mentioned that?

Wow, that was a tangent. Anyway, speaking of mocking Lloyd* and exaggerating, he's off getting some stuff for his upcoming hunting trip. He's very excited about bringing home large quantities of lean, organic meat. I'd be thrilled too, only according to my calculations, the cost per pound is about $867. The bullets, the new pants, socks and boots, the special food, more giant coolers, tags and licenses, the gear for Weston, the gas, it adds up. But it's cheaper than fishing. Those beautiful big fat salmon I posted pictures of this summer? That penciled out to about $2372/lb. Lloyd doesn't care, though. He just says I should throw my pencil away. That's a good idea, because if we spend any more on that crap I'll need to replace it with an adding machine.

Well, that's it for now. I have to get ready for work. We're moving, you know. If you missed the post called 'Doom' that was up over the weekend and want to see it, email me at womanwithadeadcat@gmail.com and I'll send it to you. I thought it was only slightly questionable but my judgement's not that good, so I try to be extra careful.

*in case you were wondering, Lloyd thinks I am BRILLIANT and HILARIOUS when I tease him on here. Okay, fine, I'm exaggerating again. He mostly just doesn't care what anyone thinks, and that's good, too.

No comments: