Saturday, October 23, 2010

Peonies



Sorry, no cute cat pictures or videos today. I know how popular they are, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. One day you get adorable antics by Henry, the next day it's piles of dreary crap. I would feel sorry for you, but I DID warn you. It's not my fault you don't listen!

I spent the day digging out my mother's peonies, and it really sucked. It was hard, dirty work, and not the really good sweaty productive kind that I can really get behind. It was just flat-out depressing. Every time the shovel hit the dirt it was like a hateful little song in my head: There won't be any flowers here next year because your mother's dead, your mother's dead, neiner, neiner, neiner!

I kept finding the tags she used to mark them. I'm sure it's to differentiate the colors and kinds, but they just have numbers on them, and I don't know what her numbering scheme was.

I'm pretty sure I was doing it wrong, too: I kept digging through some of the tubers. I was terrified the whole time that she was going to send some big scary birds to peck my head every time I cut off a root. Oh, and she would do it, don't think she wouldn't...

So now I have a giant pile of peonies that need good homes. If you want some, let me know. My understanding is that they will grow anywhere north of Montgomery, Alabama. I did have some in Shreveport, Louisiana and they didn't do well there. You can come pick them up if you're local, or I'm happy to mail them.




No comments: